The Vermont Division of Fire Safety has a number of requirements for short-term rentals in Vermont that sleep more than eight people.

Once you pass the eight person mark, you are required to obtain a “certificate of occupancy” which will require either a monitored fire alarm system or a sprinkler system. The difference between the two requirements are based on when the property was first used as a rental property. The more restrictive requirements of a sprinkler system were added in 2015.

This presentation from the Division of Fire Safety should help to answer your questions on these requirements. As of November 3, 2020, the Town of Killington has implemented a short-term rental registration program that requires proof of this certificate of occupancy before you are allowed to rent. If you sleep eight or less people, you may self-certify.

If you have any questions on this process or would like us to help manage it for you, please contact us.